These days very few of us are interested in spending hours in the kitchen preparing the kind of healthful food we should be eating. A delicious, one-dish meal is appreciated at our house: easy to prepare and fewer dishes to wash after dinner. Here is a super easy one-dish, vegetarian meal that is healthy, filling and so tasty you won’t believe it. You can add whatever you want, but here’s one way that I make my One-Dish Black Beans, Rice and Vegetables.
Black Beans, Rice & Fresh Vegetables (serves 2)
1 15-oz. can of black beans (use no added salt type or soak dried beans yourself and cook)
1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1/3 of a large, sweet potato, baked and chunked
Broccoli, steamed and cut in bite-sized florets, as many as you like
Rainbow carrots, steamed and sliced, as many as you like
Brown rice, cooked, amount up to you or don’t use it at all
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil in the bottom of a medium sauce pan.
- Add can of black beans, a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and heat.
- Spoon a serving of cooked rice into a one-serving bowl.
- Top with cooked and heated carrots, sweet potatoes and broccoli.
- Spoon heated black beans and onion mixture over it all.
There you have it–two easy servings of a delicious vegetarian meal that’s really good for you.
Oh, wait. You want to see photos of it? Yeah, I’d like to show them to you. But I forgot to take a picture of the finished dish. And I think you already know what the rest of the stuff looks like. But in case you don’t:
Yes, these are broccoli and rainbow carrots, cooked and tender.